Science at Market Field School
Here at Market Field School our Science provision is in an exciting transitional stage. We currently are using Pzazz which covers the curriculum for Early years right through to year 10. Where in year 11 we are offering exams at Entry level and GSCE level. Science work-shops have been used to effectively bring Science to life for our Junior and Senior students and experiments have been effective in showing our students how science is all around us. We will be building on this even more next year by creating a new Curriculum.
Our Science curriculum will always be inclusive of all abilities and allow all pupils to access and develop a range of skills necessary to be successful scientists. As in all subjects differentiation will be a huge part of our teaching to give each child the opportunities they deserve.
By teaching science in a way that we access both practical and theoretical skills, working at a pace which meets the children’s needs and by focusing on the key knowledge and skills outlined in our curriculum we hope to:
· Prepare our children for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world today and in the future.
- Help extend our children’s scientific concept of their world.
- Build on using a scientific approach to problem-solving and building on their natural curiosity.
- Encouraging open-mindedness, self-assessment, perseverance and developing the skills of investigations – including: observing, measuring, predicting, hypothesising, experimenting, communicating, interpreting, explaining and evaluating.
- Develop their use of scientific language, building on their confidence within the subject.
- Develop the use of computing in investigating and recording.
- Make links between science and other subjects and considering this in everyday living.
- Teach the three strands of science – Physics, Biology and Chemistry – in a cohesive, sequenced way from Early years all the way up to Year 11.
- Opportunities for cross-curricular links are always used e.g. measurements and recording are linked in mathematic lessons as well as reading and writing opportunities across the curriculum including science.
- Offer opportunities from year 9 to begin working on the examination route.
At Market Field School our vision is to give all children an inclusive Science curriculum. This will enable all student to learn to explore the world around them, discover the world around them and better understand the world they live in. The exciting, practical, hands-on experiences which we will be offering them will encourage curiosity and questioning.
This promoting of the experience of exploring and investigating scientific phenomena, in a range of contexts, will ensure a continual growth in knowledge and inquisitiveness. This knowledge and these questions will create a bank of core skills which will equip them for an ever-changing world as well as the knowledge and understanding to succeed in life.
Sally Ann Hattingh